Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Making Lip Balm Using Nature's Garden Kit!



Last week I received a Lip Balm Kit from Nature's Garden. Deb is considering offering bath and body kits to her site and wanted a selected few to try out the kits. I received the Crazy For Coconuts Lip Balm Kit. This is not available on their website right now, but I hope they add it soon!
 Here is what the cute kit looked like (this is after I pulled everything out to see and smell...lol). It came in a cute, reusable vinyl pouch. Perfect for gift giving!





The kit came with full instructions and ingredients:
Coconut oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, beeswax, coconut flavor, vitamin e capsule, lip tint, stevia (for sweetening), 25 white lip balm tubes, and 4 pipettes.
 Before I started, I sanitized my area, pulled back my hair, put on a face mask (which can be bought at any pharmacy) and put on my disposable gloves.
I placed my glass measuring cup on the scale and set it on grams and tared the weight.
 The instructions were to add all the materials (except fragrance and tint and sweetener) and melt in a double boiler. I followed the instructions but melted mine in a different order. I have found that beeswax takes a really long time to melt, so I melted my beeswax first.
 When the beeswax  melted half way, I added my cocoa butter and continued to melt this mixture. After they were both melted, I add my coconut oil, and shea butter. The heat from the other oils usually melts the shea butter, although sometimes I have to put the lip balm base back on the heat to warm up. I find that the shea butter does not turn "grainy" when it is melted gently.
I then added my 20 drops of coconut flavor. I didn't add the stevia since I do not like sweetened lip balm.





This is my first time  using tint in a lip balm! I only added a few drops.

 Look at the beautiful color!
I mixed the color in and used the available pipette to fill in the lip balm tubes.
 After filling, and letting the lip balm cool, I used a clean paper towel and spritzed it with rubbing alcohol. I used the paper towel to rub off any residue that was on the outside of the tubes. I dribbled a little on the outside and cleaning off the tubes was a breeze!
 Ta da! here is what they looked like after I filled the tubes.
 Here is a close up.
 I made a label using the program on Onlinelabels. They have a very simple program that is free to use when you order their labels. I have found Onlinelabels the easiest to work with and purchase all my labels from them.
What do you think? I think they turned out great, and I hope Nature's Garden decides to sell their kits!

2 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

They turned out so well! Having a kit always makes it so much easier. =)

Glossy Lala said...

Lovely handmade lip balm.

I am you new follower,if you like my blog feel free to follow me as well:)

http://glossylala.blogspot.co.uk/